If your goal is to make it last for the long haul, there are some basic ways to care for your vehicle. Preventive maintenance is the best way to keep your vehicle running as it should. It is also an important part of preventing breakdowns and major repair costs. Here are some car care basics:
- Go through and read the owner's manual for your vehicle. Doing so will allow you to better understand all its features and it will also identify the recommended maintenance schedule.
- Maintain all the fluids. Engine oil, transmission fluid, coolant, etc. should be clean and topped off. If you don't know the best maintenance schedule for specific components in your vehicle, ask us. If we’ve been maintaining your vehicle all along, we’ll be happy to advise you on the best schedule for your vehicle.
- Change the engine oil and filter every 3,000 miles and the transmission fluid and filter every 30,000 miles.
- If you are noticing an irregular noise, vibration, or leak, have your vehicle inspected as soon as you can. This is also true if one of the warning lights is illuminated on your dash. “Red” dash lights are critical warning indicators, so stop your vehicle immediately and call for service. “Yellow” or “Orange” lights are alerting you to a problem that needs to be corrected. When you take care of small concerns as soon as they arise, you will end up saving on expensive repair issues down the road.
- Check tire pressure once a month. Your tires should be inflated to the pressures indicated on the label inside the driver’s side door jam and in the owner’s manual.
- Change your windshield wipers in the Fall and Spring.
- Wash and wax your vehicle regularly to keep the car finish shiny and protected from corrosion. It’s also a good idea to vacuum and clean out the inside.
Remember, Trojan Auto Care is here to help you keep your vehicle on the road. Call or go on-line to schedule your next appointment.