Knowledge is power. This statement is especially true when it comes to buying a used car. When you get to the point of deciding on a vehicle, it's important to have a reputable mechanic, like those at Trojan Auto Care, perform an inspection before negotiating the price and making the purchase. But what do you do up to that point? How to do you go through the process of checking out automobiles? We've got a checklist on our website that will be helpful
. Here are some other items to consider when buying a used car:
- Start by knowing what you're interested in buying before going out to look at vehicles. Do your homework. Check out on-line sources to determine the fair market value for the year, make and model you're considering. Sites like Kelley Blue Book and Edmunds are great sources of information. In your research, check out the frequency of repair along with the typical maintenance costs on the make and model you're considering.
- Once you've decided on the type of used car you want to purchase, check to see who has that particular make and model for sale. CarMax is just one place you can check out for buying a used car. Local car dealers may also have certified pre-owned vehicles on their lots. Then, there are the used car dealers and individuals. Some may offer warranties so check those details too.
- When you find a vehicle, do your due diligence. Check it out. You can use the checklist we've got on our site as a guide. You'll want to ask a lot of questions. Also request to see copies of the maintenance records.
- Take the vehicle out on a test drive. When you do, drive it in all sorts of conditions - hills, highways, and in stop-and-go traffic.
- Check a trusted database service that has information from state and local authorities, salvage yards and insurance companies for additional vehicle history. Carfax.com is one of the more well-known services for completing searches on vehicle histories.
- Have the vehicle inspected by the auto repair shop you hire.
Don't go into a used vehicle purchase decision blindly. Let our ASE-Certified mechanics take a look at the vehicle. We'll be able to give you a good idea on the condition of the vehicle and alert you to potential repair and maintenance issues. Give Trojan Auto Care, in Troy, OH, a call today or go on-line to schedule your pre-purchase inspection.