It's always a prudent idea to take care of your vehicle at the first sign of having a problem. This way, you'll avoid the hassle and expense of having your car break down. Preventive maintenance is especially important when it comes to your vehicle's transmission. Repairs on transmissions can be quite expensive. For this reason, you'll want to take notice of anything that seems unusual and have the transmission repair completed right away. Here are 6 signs you may need a transmission repair:
1. A Burning Smell or Fluid that is Black
- Your transmission's fluid should be a bright red color and have a sweet odor to it. If it smells like it is burnt or is a dark red or black color, you'll want to have your transmission checked. The fluid is meant to lubricate the various components in your vehicle's transmission. In addition, it's supposed to keep your transmission from overheating. It's best to have the transmission fluid and filter changed every 30,000 miles. If you haven't done so and your vehicle is approaching 100,000 miles, check with us prior to changing the fluid and filter.
2. Noisy When in Neutral
- Yes, your transmission can make a noise when it's in neutral. This could be a sign there is a problem with the transmission oil pump. The filter could also be clogged. Have your transmission checked if you hear any noise when your vehicle is in neutral.
3. Gears that Slip
- A high RPM (over 3,500), a delay in acceleration, inability to shift into reverse, or difficulty shifting into gears are all signs your transmission is slipping. A slipping transmission doesn't necessarily mean it's bad, but you should have it looked at as soon as possible. A transmission that slips could result from something as simple as a low fluid level or fluid that needs to be changed. It could also be an indication of a more complicated repair issue like a solenoid or torque converter. When the transmission is functioning properly, the car stays in the gear the computer designates for a given RPM range.
4. A Red-Colored Fluid Leak Under Your Vehicle
- If you see a leak of bright red fluid on the driveway or in your garage, schedule an appointment to have us locate and repair the leak.
- Grinding, shaking, clunking, and humming are indicators your transmission needs some attention.
- A transmission is built to smoothly transition from one gear to another. When it hesitates or won't shift into the next gear, there's something wrong.
It's always best to maintain your vehicle's transmission regularly. The ASE-certified technicians at Trojan Auto Care, in Troy, OH, will be happy to consult with you about the proper maintenance schedule for your vehicle. We can perform the periodic maintenance as well as handle any transmission repair
. Don’t delay. If you believe you have a problem with your vehicle's transmission, click here to schedule an appointment